Celebrate 150 years of the Peabody Museum with free admission to the galleries all day. From noon to 4:00 pm on October 8, 2016, enjoy birthday cake, live music, hands-on activities, and special appearances by rarely seen treasures. Those rare treasures include a bear claw necklace collected by Lewis & Clark and the museum’s famed Feejee mermaid. Visit the behind-the-scenes at the Zooarchaeology Lab. There you can touch and identify animal bones, including bones you may bring from home. The Peabody Museum invented North American anthropology.
This event is FREE and open to everyone. Plus, parking is FREE too at the 52 Oxford Street Garage–score! The Peabody Museum in located in Cambridge at 11 Divinity Avenue.
Peabody Museum 150th Anniversary schedule:
- 12:00–4:00 pm: Birthday Cake
12:00–4:00 pm For enthusiasts of all ages
- Model a tiny replica of a human or animal head to adorn a Mesoamerican vessel
- Handle antique plaster casts and make a color rubbing as a hieroglyphic souvenir
- Try a unique tool to date the age of colonial-era excavations
- Visit a working laboratory to identify animal bones associated with archaeological sites
- Handle a spear thrower
- “Please Touch” a changing array of curious objects, including a bear’s paw and a lantern slide viewer
Live Music Stroll the galleries to musical accompaniment.
- 12:00 pm Camelia Latin Jazz Band–Cuban, Brazilian, Bachata and other Latin rhythms punctuated with jazz solos
- 1:15 pm Nettukkusqk Singers–An intertribal trio of women from Wampanoag and Nipmuc homelands. They will perform traditional and contemporary songs accompanied by hand drums, rattles, and water drum.
- 2:45 pm Henry Acker Jazz Trio–A 12-year old guitar impresario heads a family trio that plays exhilarating jazz in the hot swing style of Django Reinhardt
Curator’s Choice Artifacts Curators bring out a rarely-seen treasure.
- 12:00 pm FeeJee Mermaid
- 12:40 pm American anthropologist Frederic Putnam’s pipe
- 1:20 pm Grizzly bear claw necklace from the Lewis and Clark expedition
- 2:00 pm Jadeite jewel of an Aztec goddess
- 2:40 pm 90,000 year-old human skull from Skhul, Israel
- 3:20 pm Hand-painted color image of Tibetan camel caravan
See all the 150th-anniversary events for the year here.
If you enjoy museums, you might like to see which Boston museums have FREE admission opportunities.