Last year an avian influenza outbreak has caused a sharp reduction in turkey supplies and therefore wholesale turkey prices sky-rocketed. This year, according to the USDA, turkey supplies are doing fine, but compared to last year prices from some retailers are still a bit higher. Still, many grocers will sell turkeys as a loss-leader item in the hopes that once you’re in the store you’ll make other purchases. But you can still save on all of those other purchases too. Here are some more tips on how to maximize your savings while shopping for Thanksgiving dinner.
Check out where you can get the lowest priced Thanksgiving turkeys in Boston:
Below is a sampling of turkey prices. Prices may vary by location. All prices are for frozen turkeys unless indicated as fresh. Some offers require an additional purchase in order to pay the lowest price per pound. Walmart is offering a price match. Here are Walmart’s rules–they’re about three-quarters down the page.
- Aldi: Fresh whole turkey 99¢ per pound.
- BJ’s: 99¢ per pound fresh.
- Costco: Butterball $2.49 per pound.
- Market Basket: 69¢ per pound, 89¢ fresh.
- Peapod: Stop & Shop brand $1.29 per pound; Butterball $1.69 per pound; $1.99 fresh; Natures Promise $1.79 per pound, $1.99 fresh. Google for a new customer promo code.
- Price Chopper: Shady Brook Farms 57¢ per pound, $1.29 fresh; Butterball 99¢ per pound.
- Sam’s Club: 99 cents per pound. Size and brand vary by club.
- Stop & Shop: Stop & Shop brand 59¢ per pound with $25 purchase not including turkey; Butterball $1.29 per pound with $25 purchase not including turkey ; $1.99 fresh; Natures Promise 99¢ fresh. Will price match.
- Target: Butterball 99 cents per pound.
- Trader Joe’s: Trader Joe’s All Natural, Brined, Fresh Young Turkeys $1.99 per pound, Glatt Kosher, All Natural, Fresh Young Turkeys $2.49 per pound.
- Walmart: Walmart brand 73 cents per pound, Jennie-O 93 cents per pound, Butterball $1.13 per pounds. Walmart is offering a price match.
- Wegman’s: 99¢ pound fresh.
- Whole Foods: All are fresh. Nature’s Ranchers $2.49 per pound, Valerie’s brined $2.49 per pound, Larry Schultz organic $3.99 per pound.
If you know the price at stores not listed, please help out your fellow readers and leave a comment.