Do your carved pumpkins look more like a hot mess than an adorable (or scary–depending on your desire) decoration? Or maybe you’re looking to kick up your traditional jack-o-lantern into something a bit more creative.
Either way, never fear, there’s an array of sites on the Internet where you can get plenty of help carving a ghoulish or fun pumpkin to celebrate Halloween. Most offer free patterns and plenty of instructions, tips, and hints for carving simple to elaborate professional looking pumpkins. Plus, pumpkin patterns for local sports teams, including the New England Patriots and the Boston Red Sox.
Check out these great pumpkin carving tips, patterns, and more:
- Martha Stewart: pumpkin carving basics plus lots more on the Grande Dame of crafts.
- Pumpkin Carving 101: Includes history, choosing, care, and even burial traditions for pumpkins.
- DLTK’s Pumpkin Carving Patterns: patterns and instructions and lots more on this great site for kids and moms.
- The Pumpkin Wizard: Celebrity patterns and more!
- How to Carve an Elaborate Pumpkin Design, Easily!!! Easy, illustrated guide with text and accompanying photos shows how to turn a pumpkin in to an elaborately carved pumpkin. Anyone can follow these easy instructions to produce a professional-looking Halloween Jack-O-Lantern!
- SpookMaster free patterns, plus hundreds of other pumpkin carving patterns for just one payment of $5.95.
- PicMonkey: Free PDF of templates, plus ability to create your own.
Sports teams templates
- Stoneykins has 100 free pumpkin patterns, plus hundreds of other pumpkin carving patterns for a fee, beginning as low as $3.00 for 5 credits; many patterns are just 1 credit. Buy NFL football and other sports patterns, Patriots are on page 3 of NFL.
- FREE Official Red Sox Halloween pumpkin stencils, just download the PDF.