NOT YET UPDATED FOR 2017
One of my favorite things about summer is watching movies outside on giant screens on a warm evening. Well, it’s that time again–and there are so many options and all for FREE. All you need to do is grab a blanket, grab a snack, and head to the show.
Note, not all locations have announced their schedule yet, so I’ll be updating this as I learn more but here’s a great start!
- Boston Harbor Hotel Summer in the City Movie Series
Every Friday through September 9th, The Boston Harbor Hotel is airing a classic movie in their courtyard as part of their Summer in the City series. The movies begin at dusk.
- Free Friday Flicks at the Hatch Shell
On Friday nights from July 15 through August 26th, head down to the Hatch Shell for their FREE Friday Flicks.
- Magic 106.7 Family Film Festival at the Prudential Center
Looking for something to do on Saturday nights this summer? Beginning July 2 through August 27, you can enjoy Magic 106.7’s Family Film Festival at the Pru.
- Mayor Walsh’s Movie Nights
On various Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays in August and early September you can catch a great movie at different parks throughout Boston during Mayor Walsh’s Movie Nights.
- Frog Pond Movie Nights
On Fridays in September you can still enjoy movies under the stars at the Frog Pond Movie Nights in the common.
- Sunday Night Movies at Christopher Columbus Park
Head to Christopher Columbus Park on Sunday evenings from July 10 through August 14 to enjoy FREE movies.
- Sylvester Baxter Riverfront Park Movie Series
On Saturday Nights in July and August Assembly Row in Somerville offers their Sylvester Baxter Riverfront Park Movie Series. The series runs July 9 through August 27. Films start at dusk at will be shown at the Sylvester Baxter Riverfront Park.
- The Coolidge on the Greenway
Two Wednesday evenings this summer, July 6 and August 10 enjoy at FREE summer movie on the Greenway. Screenings will take place at sunset at the Greenway’s Wharf District Park (located between Milk and India Streets in Boston). All films will be screened in 35mm. Rain date is the following day. On the 6th enjoy The Muppet Movie and on August 10 you can see The Creature from the Black Lagoon.
- Summer Flicks at Patriot Place
Every other Wednesday from July 13 through September 2, enjoy fun free movies thanks to Menchie’s Summer Flicks Series.
- Revere Beach Family Movie Night
Every Thursday nights at dusk from July 30 through August 11 at Revere Beach (either Kelly’s Roast Beef or William G. Reinstein Bandstand), you can enjoy a FREE outdoor movie during Revere Beach’s Theater Thursdays Family Movie Night. If necessary, the rain date is the next day, Friday.
- Movies at the Mansion
If you’re near Waltham, head to the Lyman Estate every Thursday evening in July for Movies at the Mansion. The FREE movies air at Dusk on Thursdays beginning July 7 through July 28.
If you know of any I’m missed, please let me know.
Looking for more Free & Cheap things to do check out:
- Half Price Entertainment–for discounted tickets to area shows
- Where and when Kids eat FREE–check out what restaurants will let your kids eat FREE on which night
- Birthday Freebies–Find out what restaurants, stores, and more will give you FREE food and more on your birthday
- Which museums offer FREE days and when
- Free & Cheap things to do in Boston
And, to be sure you know about the cheap stuff in the Boston area throughout the year, subscribe to Boston Living on the Cheap by email.